Archive for December, 2009

Pets overindulging at Christmas

Grey cat at ChristmasWe all tend to have a bit too much to eat at Christmas and feel a bit worse for wear. It is not uncommon for many of those fatty scraps to end up in Molly’s bowl. The problem is that this can lead to a very painful tummy due to inflammation of the pancreas, the organ which produces insulin and helps pets digest their food. Some pets become very ill indeed, and in severe cases it can be fatal. So keep the goose fat, turkey skin and crackling to yourself and if you want to give Molly some treats from the plate, try to make it lean turkey breast, ideally saved from the carving board rather than scraps from your plate.

The other potential issue to be aware of is Christmas time poisonings. Chocolate can be a big hazard, especially if dark. Raisins and grapes can cause failure of the kidneys. Swallowed bits of ornaments can be a problem for any pet. Lilies can make cats very sick. Anti-freeze from cars is very often fatal if swallowed, and unfortunately pets like the taste due to its sweetness. The British Veterinary Association- Animal Welfare Foundation is currently trying to raise awareness of Christmas dangers and has relaunched their pamphlet on common household poisons and the BVA has launched a press release on the topic. It is highly recommended reading.

Keeping up with your pet’s worming and flea treatments

It can be a bit of a struggle to remember when your pet’s next worming and flea treatment is next due. One is due in a month, one is due in three months, you can’t quite remember the last time you gave it and it all gets a bit confusing.

Scratching Puppy

The problem is that these treatments are actually very important for both your pet and your family. You don’t want your pet uncomfortable, or even worse, ill. You also don’t want your children to be catching any of those nasties, which unfortunately is possible. There is also that horrible new lungworm that dogs can catch which makes them very ill indeed.

Now you can have an email or SMS sent at regular intervals to remind you to do both treatments, if you register your details at This is an excellent service for pet owners and highly recommended. You can use this service regardless of which wormer you give your dog. Alternatively, set up a regular alarm though your electronic diary in your computer or mobile phone.