Posts Tagged ‘poison’

Easter Weekend!

Easter weekend is upon us! With it the hope of some warmer weather very soon (hopefully lots of puppies and kittens!) and a few treats around the house which may not be so good for our furry friends.

Lillies and cats just don’t go together. Every part of the plant is poisonous, even the pollen. Affected cats are often obvious because they tend to stain their nose with pollen as they investigate the flowers (cute but scary). Owners are often aware of the dangers, and try to restrict access to the plant. However, cats are very clever getting into places where they shouldn’t be, so it is safer to keep lillies out of the household altogether (and out of your garden as well!).

If you have a dog, then our previous warning about chocolate and raisins/sultanas is again important. Watch those hot cross buns.

If you have an emergency over the Easter break (and we hope you don’t!), the contact details for our emergency clinic are:Hot Cross Buns

Elizabeth St Emergency Clinic
55 Elizabeth St
Belgravia
London SW1W 9PP
Ph: 020 7730 9102

We re-open after the Easter break at 7am on Tuesday morning, and we look forward to seeing you then.

In the meantime, we’re thinking about rabbits and the upcoming Rabbit Awareness Week. We’ll be giving away free health checks to rabbits, with plenty of advice on diet and general health care. If you have a rabbit, please phone us to make your appointment. It should be a fun week!

Pets overindulging at Christmas

Grey cat at ChristmasWe all tend to have a bit too much to eat at Christmas and feel a bit worse for wear. It is not uncommon for many of those fatty scraps to end up in Molly’s bowl. The problem is that this can lead to a very painful tummy due to inflammation of the pancreas, the organ which produces insulin and helps pets digest their food. Some pets become very ill indeed, and in severe cases it can be fatal. So keep the goose fat, turkey skin and crackling to yourself and if you want to give Molly some treats from the plate, try to make it lean turkey breast, ideally saved from the carving board rather than scraps from your plate.

The other potential issue to be aware of is Christmas time poisonings. Chocolate can be a big hazard, especially if dark. Raisins and grapes can cause failure of the kidneys. Swallowed bits of ornaments can be a problem for any pet. Lilies can make cats very sick. Anti-freeze from cars is very often fatal if swallowed, and unfortunately pets like the taste due to its sweetness. The British Veterinary Association- Animal Welfare Foundation is currently trying to raise awareness of Christmas dangers and has relaunched their pamphlet on common household poisons and the BVA has launched a press release on the topic. It is highly recommended reading.